With recent changes over the past year me and the kids have made some improvements on our living situation. Instead of paying rent for the rest of my life, me and the kids decided to buy a mobile home and rebuild it to fit our needs.
Redesigning a home to suit our needs and our likes has taken on a life of itself. My Pinterest feed is full of home remodeling projects and redecorating ideas that I will be adding into our new place.
With so many ideas floating around on the internet and Pinterest app, its hard to find which style we would like to go for, so instead of one style we are making an eclectic mixture of all styles that suit us and our individual characteristics.
Each one of us is in love with a different design style, but yet they are all so similar that with a little inginuity we can combine them and make a wonderfully comfortable space for all five of us. Oh, yeah, I forgot to mention my oldest moved in with us as well.
Here are ten examples of how we can mix these themes into one cohesive environment.
1. Custom art prints- Minted’s custom art prints can help us to bring each persons personality together and mix the different design themes together without overwhelming the eye. One of my favorite pieces that ill be adding to my home is the Swift Fox, with a reclaimed barn wood frame.
2. Colorful furniture- Even though we all love different color schemes, we can come together with a few key pieces and join our color palettes together. Sometimes color is what makes a house much more warm and inviting. For instance this beautiful sofa set from Colebrook, on overstock, is neutral yet colorful for any home. With a few extra pillows and a throw to add more color you can make subtle changes to this set to draw the attention of your guest to the design of your furniture.
3. Unique arrangements- The specific way you arrange furniture and pillows can help bring your family together in a comforting environment and draw each family member into the common living space for more family time. Imagine sitting around on the sofa listed previously with a large 60 inch smart tv and surround sound speakers while watching the latest new release.
4. Vinyl wording- With a few well placed Vinyl word art you can share messages that each member of the family will understand and feel more welcome. Take for instance the saying “Keep Calm and Carry On”, this has become one of my most favorite sayings over the past year. It is what has given us the strength to carry on with our live’s even when times were tough.
5. Pillow’s- Pillow’s, pillow’s, and more pillow’s is my motto. You can never have enough pillows in your main living space. Pillow’s are inviting, comforting, and add great seating arrangements, especially the huge floor pillows. With pillows you add colorful fabric, unique textures, and can even increase your seating area.
6. Painted Walls- Whether you like all your walls one cohesive color or an accent wall or decorative trim, color is definitely a must have in any new home. No one wants to live in something so stark and white that the walls blind you when you walk in the door. Even if you are on a tight budget color is a great way to add character to your living spaces and feel relaxed and comforted while cooking, cleaning, and even sleeping. Paint can be added in many ways. One of the most popular ways to paint your home is through traditional all over cohesive color themes, but there are other ways to add paint to your home. For instance, consider doing each main wall in a different matching color such as the main walls can be red, pink, orange and pumpkin, or you can do chevron stripes with blue stripes and black lines between each stripe. Whichever pattern you choose, the best thing to remember is don’t be afraid to add a little colorful paint to your home.
7. Curtains or drapes- Everyone knows that curtains and drapes are used for window treatment. However, what most people don’t realize is that you can actually add curtains to your kitchen cabinets, or drapes to your walls. Moroccans have been hanging fabric drapes from a center point in the ceiling for ages and it always looks so lovely and Moroccan. My favorite part about fabric is not the sewing part, although, I love to sew, but the feel and textures that come from many different types of fabrics. I plan to add some fabric to my walls in my new home to offer an affordable way to decorate and cut energy costs since fabric is a great conductor of heating and cooling.
8. Family photos- Every family needs a wall of family photos designed just right to draw the eye to the photos. Sometimes, people don’t have large families and sometimes they do. My family is about average size, with me as the only adult and the four children ranging in ages from 6-19. With family photos on the walls we can view each person at different times of their lives and remember when those times were. Each photo that you take represent’s a time period in your life, lots of times you want to remember for the joy you experienced then and other times you just want a reminder that whatever lead you to take that picture at that particular time is not a place you would like to be at again.
9. Custom frames- Custom frames really set off your pictures. Especially if you are repurposing old wooden frames. There are several techniques that can be used to make a newer frame look old and repurposed, there are also ways to find repurposed frames at local thrift stores and farmers markets. Frames are an inexpensive way to add character to the home and the pictures they are housing.
10. Rugs- Although most houses have carpet in them, many of them don’t and rugs are a great way to add a piece of yourself or combine different decorating styles and blend them together. In my home I have a beautiful blue and white trellis style rug that combines the french look with the eclectic old wood style that is in the process of being put together. With everyones style being different a rug is a great way to combine those styles and add texture and color.
Since we moved into our home in April 2015 we have shopped at local junk shops, thrift stores, and even a few rescue mission store’s. We have scoured the classifieds for furniture that we can repurpose and scrap wood, paint and even pallets that can be turned into furniture. At this point we are still working on getting our theme and design for the house together. When it is all finished I will post some before and after pictures so you can see how with a few of the helpful ideas and a little time and patience you can design a wonderfully comforting home that’s style will fit your family for a lifetime.